Sticky Velvet Cabernet Cupcakes
Dark (red) velvet cupcakes will never go out of style when you double down with Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine: flavoring the cupcake batter & the cream cheese frosting.
Deliciously moist, baked dark velvet cupcakes feature Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine in place of red food coloring, and then they are topped with velvety swirls of savory/sweet Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Cream Cheese Frosting (scratch made frosting whipped with cabernet). You will be dreaming of red wine & dark velvet after enjoying these beauties.
40 minutes (20 minutes – baking, 20 minutes – cooling)
- 1 C (8 oz.) – Greek yogurt/cream cheese (store bought new blend), room temperature
- ½ C (1 stick = 4 oz.) – unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp – pure vanilla extract
- 2 C – confectioners sugar
- ¼ C – Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine
- ¼ C (½ stick = 2 oz.) – unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ C – granulated sugar
- 1 each – egg, fresh, large (cage free)
- 3 Tbsp – unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp – Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine
- ½ tsp – pure vanilla extract
- ½ C – buttermilk
- 1 C – all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp – sea salt
- ½ tsp – baking soda
- ½ tsp – distilled white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350° F, then line a standard 12 muffin, muffin tin with red paper liners.
- Prepare the Cabernet Cream Cheese Frosting: Place the Greek yogurt/cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl. Beat on high speed with a mixer (paddle attachment) until completely smooth and light & fluffy, for approximately 1 minute. Slowly add confectioners sugar and mix on slow speed to combine then high speed to completely smooth, light & fluffy. Add Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine and mix on low speed then high speed to combine evenly. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a wide, straight tip and reserve chilled.
- Prepare the cupcake batter: Cream the butter & sugar, on medium-high speed in a mixing bowl, until light and fluffy, for approximately 3 minutes. Turn the mixer to high, add the egg and beat until evenly combined (scraping down the bowl as needed). Reserve batter.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine and vanilla extract to make a paste. Add this to the reserved batter (in step 3) and mix on medium speed until evenly combined (scraping down the bowl as needed), approximately 1 minute.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the buttermilk to evenly combine, then slowly add the flour, salt, baking soda & vinegar and blend until evenly combined (scraping down the bowl as needed), approximately 1-2 minutes. Finish by beating on high until completely smooth, approximately 15 seconds.
- Evenly divide the finished batter between the 12 cupcake liners, in the pan, and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- A toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes should come out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes for 10 minutes and then remove the cupcakes from the warm pan and place them on a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting, approximately another 10 minutes (longer if needed).
- Frost the cupcakes by evenly & artistically piping a swirl of Cabernet Cream Cheese Frosting on top of each cupcake.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Food colorings are becoming phased out of recipes, at home and in restaurants. We omitted red food coloring in the recipe and replaced it with a wholesome (and delicious) ingredient – Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine. The wine provides a deeper, darker color; as well as, providing unique & premium flavor.
- We use a Greek yogurt/cream cheese blend (new in grocery stores) vs. straight cream cheese. The blend provides 4x more protein, ½ the fat, live & active cultures + additional depth of flavor vs. regular cream cheese– all with the same or better flavor and texture.
- You can use regular cream cheese, in the recipe if desired.
- Chocolate cupcakes also work well, topped with Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon Cream Cheese Frosting.
- For quick kitchen preparation, use your favorite box cupcake batter, then make the Cabernet Cream Cheese Frosting from scratch – delivering a touch of homemade goodness.
- Miniature size Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Dark Velvet Cupcakes could be prepared & served as a snack/appetizer.
- A Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine macerated whole fresh blackberry could be placed inside of each cupcake, before baking – creating a tasty & fun surprise within each baked cupcake.
- Combine ¼ C Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine, 1 Tbsp granulated sugar and 12 fresh, whole blackberries and macerate (refrigerated) 3 hours, before using.
- Fresh raspberries could be used in place of blackberries.
- Use a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, to make the Cabernet Wine Cream Cheese Frosting, then the dark velvet cupcake batter. You can also use a hand mixer, fitted with the beater attachments.
- The cocoa powder in the cupcakes is a beautiful complement to the Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine.
- If you don’t have a pastry bag, you can spoon the Cabernet Cream Cheese Frosting on top of the cupcakes. The rustic look will taste just as yummy.
- Frosting cupcakes: Fit a pastry bag with a wide star tip. For a traditional swirl, pipe from the outside to the inside of the cupcake. To create a rose/flower effect, pipe from the inside to the outside of the cupcake. You can also use a wide, straight tip to create a simpler look. Experiment with your personal style and cupcake looks.
- Cupcakes make a wonderful dessert, celebration/occasion treat or snack.