Slow Braised Beef Tips
Bust out your crock pot and fill your home with the tantalizing aromatics of Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Braised Beef Tips sloooooooow cooking in your kitchen.
Tender chunks of beef stew are slow simmered with Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine, beef broth, tomato, onions, garlic & seasonings – all finished with fresh chopped chives & a touch of Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine. Pair with rustic mashed potatoes, for a satiating meal.
½ C beef tips
- 1 Tbsp – vegetable oil
- 1 – 1 ½ pounds – beef tips, medium size cubes
- 2 Tbsp – Wondra flour
- ¾ C – Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine
- ¾ C – beef broth, low sodium
- 1 C (½ a large) – yellow onion, peeled, small dice
- 2 Tbsp – tomato paste
- 1 tsp – Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large – bay leaf, dried
- 3 Tbsp – Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine
- 1 Tbsp – chives, fresh, minced
- ½ tsp – garlic powder
- to taste – sea salt
- to taste – coarse ground black pepper
- 4 C – mashed potatoes, your favorite recipe
- Turn crock pot on highest setting and allow to warm up.
- Heat oil, in a non-stick sauté pan, over medium-high heat. Add the beef tips and quickly sear (work in small batches if needed so the beef sears vs. steams) for approximately 3-5 minutes. When beef is seared, add flour to the pan and stir to evenly coat the beef & thoroughly combine.
- Searing the beef adds additional flavor vs. just placing the raw beef into the crock pot.
- Add the seared & floured beef to the crock pot. Add the ¾ C Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine, beef broth, onions, tomato paste, Worcestershire and bay leaf. Place the lid on the crock pot and slow cook for 4 hours, until the beef is fork tender.
- When the beef is finished cooking – remove the bay leaf & discard it, then add the 3 Tbsp Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine, chives, garlic powder, salt/pepper to taste & gently stir to evenly combine (keeping the beef chunks in tact). Reserve hot.
- To serve: Divide the Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Braised Beef Tips into 4 equal portions and plate alongside 1 C mashed potatoes, on each of 4 plates. Serve immediately & enjoy!
- Another way to prepare a quick & premium version of Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Braised Beef Tips:
- Cut boneless ribeye or sirloin steak into medium size chunks. Sear, along with small diced onions, in a non-stick sauté pan.
- Add a small touch of tomato paste and caramelize with the beef tips.
- Add flour, combine & lightly brown.
- Add Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon Wine and beef broth and reduce by ½ volume. Add another portion of Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine and beef broth and reduce by ½ volume.
- Can add a touch of Worcestershire sauce if desired.
- Season to taste with garlic powder, sea salt and coarse ground black pepper.
- Chip in a bit of unsalted butter to create a shine and velvety viscosity, if desired.
- Finish with minced chives and serve with your favorite starch.
- Adding the 3 Tbsp Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon wine at the end of the cooking, adds a rich and full bodied wine note to the slow cooked wine/beef flavors. It is a great trick to finishing a sauce.
- Wondra flour is a go to enriched all-purpose flour used in preparing smooth, lump free sauces – as it blends easily. Regular all-purpose flour could also be used.
- Serve the Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Braised Beef Tips with your favorite starch: creamy polenta, roasted potatoes, rice or egg noodles. Add a fresh vegetable to complete the meal. Pencil size asparagus works quite well.
- Using prepared beef or chicken broth saves valuable prep time in the kitchen and it provides a consistent and cost effective flavor.
- Substitute fresh chopped rosemary, thyme or scallions for the fresh chives.
- Add sliced or chopped fresh mushrooms to step 3, if desired.
- Add a touch of sour cream or Greek yogurt to step 4, if a creamy wine/beef sauce is desired.
- The richness of the finished braised beef tips facilitates a smaller portion…as a little goes a long way to satiate the appetite. You can always double the recipe, if desired – as who doesn’t like to have tasty Slow Press® Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Braised Beef Tip leftovers to enjoy.