Boho Bean and Chicken Stew
Bone-in chicken breast, thighs and drumsticks are combined with fresh cherry tomatoes, fragrant spices, chickpeas, chicken broth and Slow Press® Chardonnay, then simmered and topped with fresh cilantro, almond slivers and golden raisins.
1 family platter
- 1½ cup + 2 Tbsp. Slow Press® Chardonnay
- 3¾ lbs. bone-in whole cut chicken (breasts/thighs/drumsticks/wings)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 20 red pear tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups long grain basmati rice
- ¼ cup Wondra flour
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. sweet paprika
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ cup almond slivers
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- Sea salt to taste
- Heat a large non-stick sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken skin side down, and quickly and evenly crisp both sides to a golden color. As the pieces are seared, remove from the pan and place in a crockpot set to high. Sprinkle Wondra flour over the top.
- Add 1½ cup Slow Press® Chardonnay, chicken broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, garlic and spices. Place the lid on the crockpot and slow cook for four hours, until chicken is fork tender.
- Carefully remove each piece of chicken from the crockpot and place on a large platter. Remove any small bones that remain in the broth.
- Add 2 Tbsp. Slow Press® Chardonnay to the broth, along with almond slivers, raisins, cilantro and salt to taste. Squeeze any tomatoes that remained whole to release their juices. The broth will thicken as it simmers with the lid off.
- To serve family style, spoon hot broth from the crockpot over chicken pieces on the platter and pair with basmati rice.
- Remove skin and bones from the chicken and pull the meat into chunks, then add back to the crockpot to make a hearty style Moroccan soup.
- Vary the spices to ginger, green curry, lime, bay leaf, and add coconut milk to create an Asian inspired chicken stew.
- Regular all-purpose flour may also be used in place of Wondra.